The case against a 53-year-old school principal from accused of raping three boys has been postponed to the 19th for bail application and the suspect will remain in custody until then.
The principal at Ligugu Secondary School in Dundonald near Elukwatini appeared briefly in the Eerstehoek Magistrate’s Court in Elukwatini where he was not asked to plead on the three counts of rape of pupils between 17 and 19. The incidents reportedly occurred last year as well as at the beginning of this month. He was arrested this week.
The Mpumalanga Department of Education has condemned the alleged sexual assault on learners. Department spokesperson Gerald Sambo said the matter has been brought to the attention of the department by the Chief of the Community in the Gert Sibande District.
“The principal has since turned in a letter of resignation on Sunday last week but the department rejected it pending the allegations leveled against him.The Department’s Labour Directorate has started conducting investigation into the matter for disciplinary processes to take effect,” said Sambo.
Sambo said educators were expected to mentor, guide, teach and protect learners while refraining from acts of misconduct that may harm or injure them. “We commend the heroic deed of the traditional leadership for reporting this matter and we urge all communities to report such gross misconduct to the department and the law enforcement agencies,” said Sambo.
The principal in question will also appear before the disciplinary committee and should he be found guilty, he will have to face the consequences of his actions, he added.
He said the department will work with the South African Police Services to ensure that the full might of the law takes its course and justice prevails.